News   /   Politics   /   Persian Gulf

Oman: Iran-US indirect talks in Geneva achieve tangible progress

The Omani Ministry of Foreign Affairs

The Omani Ministry of Foreign Affairs says the latest round of indirect talks between the Islamic Republic of Iran and the United States in Geneva has concluded with tangible progress, paving the way for future discussions.

According to the ministry, Omani Foreign Minister Badr bin Hamad al-Busaidi met with US officials Steve Whittock, the US president’s special representative, and Jared Kushner in a consultative session on Tuesday.

The talks primarily focused on identifying common goals and addressing technical issues, with a constructive atmosphere throughout the meetings. 

“The meetings allowed us to work together on establishing guiding principles for a final agreement,” the ministry said, highlighting the significant role of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) Director General in facilitating the discussions.

Oman said while progress has been made, substantial work remains, and all parties left the venue with clear next steps ahead of the upcoming round of talks.

The second round of indirect nuclear negotiations between Iran and the United States took place at the Omani consulate general in Geneva, Switzerland, earlier in the day and concluded after approximately three hours. 

Similar to the previous round in Oman’s capital, Muscat, the agenda of the negotiations primarily focused on the nuclear issue and the lifting of illegal US sanctions.

The talks follow the resumption of indirect nuclear negotiations, led by Araghchi and Witkoff, in the Omani capital on February 6.

The negotiations are taking place amid heightened regional tensions. US President Donald Trump has ordered additional military deployments to the region, including an extra aircraft carrier, thousands of troops, warplanes, and guided-missile destroyers, according to US officials.

In late January, Trump spoke of “another beautiful armada” of warships heading towards Iran and said failure to reach a deal would bring consequences “far worse” than the illegal strikes of June 2025 on Iranian nuclear facilities.

Tehran has declared that it would respond decisively to any military adventurism, as in the case of the June US attacks, which prompted a ballistic missile barrage against Al Udeid, Washington’s most important regional airbase located in Qatar.


Press TV’s website can also be accessed at the following alternate addresses:

www.presstv.ir

SHARE THIS ARTICLE
Press TV News Roku