A foreign-backed militant commander in Syria has threatened Damascus that terrorists may hit the capital by Katyusha rockets.
The commander of the so-called Islamic Front terror group, Zahran Alloush, said on Saturday that if the Syrian government does not stop offensives against militant-held positions in Ghouta, close to the eastern part of Damascus, they would launch the rocket attack, Turkish media reported.
Alloush, who is also the leader of the so-called Jaysh al-Islam group, said in a message posted on Twitter that the militants have given time to the Syrian government “until Sunday to stop the attacks,” adding that if the assaults continue, they would strike the capital “with tens of missiles.”
He also called on the Damascus residents not to leave the city unless necessary.
Over 200,000 people have been killed in the crisis in Syria over the past nearly four years, according to reports. New figures show that over 76,000 people, including thousands of children, lost their lives in Syria last year alone.
Over 7.2 million Syrians have also become internally displaced due to the ongoing crisis, the UN says.
The Western powers and their regional allies - especially Qatar, Saudi Arabia and Turkey - are reportedly supporting the militants operating in Syria.
Syrian troops have so far managed to make significant gains in the fight against the terrorists.
On Saturday, the army engaged militants during separate operations in the country’s volatile southern regions, killing more than 100 terrorists.
The government of President Bashar al-Assad has vowed to push ahead with its efforts to root out terrorism in the country and establish national reconciliation.
MR/HSN/KA