WATCH PRESS TV NEWS HEADLINES

This file photo, taken on April 21, 2017, shows South Korea's K-136 Kooryong 130mm 36-round multiple rocket launch system firing rockets during a media day presentation of a joint live firing drill between South Korea and the US at the Seungjin Fire Training Field in Pocheon, 65 km northeast of Seoul, South Korea. (By AFP)

Here is a brief look at Press TV Newsroom's headlines from 0900 GMT to 1700 GMT, March 3, 2019.

 

US-South Korea drills

The South Korea-United States Combined Forces Command says the two countries will conduct a new round of military drills from March 4 to 12. In a statement, the CFC said the two sides will replace their spring-time military maneuvers with the new "Dong Maeng" drills. It says the exercises underscore the enduring partnership between Washington and Seoul. According to the statement, Dong Maeng, which means alliance, has been modified from the previously-held “Key Resolve” and “Foal Eagle” spring drills. The statement comes after US President Donald Trump's second summit with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un ended with no agreement. The US and South Korea say their joint drills have been curtailed as an effort to ease tensions with North Korea.

US police killings

US prosecutors at Sacramento county district will NOT charge two police officers who shot dead an unarmed black man in California last March. Schubert added the US attorney’s office acknowledges the tragic nature of the incident as well as the public anger and disappointment over the decision. She, however, insisted that the officers did not break any laws in the conduct of their duty. Sacramento police said 22-year-old Stephon Clark was shot after he approached the officers holding an object in his hand. But later they only found his cell phone beside his body. The incident stirred widespread condemnation and protests. Angry protesters called the killing a murder as video footage showed the officers shooting the victim twenty times.

Denouncing ties with Israel

The leader of Yemen’s Ansarullah movement says having any ties with Israel requires recognizing the occupying regime in its current status. Slamming the recent anti-Iran conference in the Polish capital Warsaw, Abdul Malik al-Houthi said the main goal of the summit was to enhance ties with Israel in all fields. He lashed out some Arab countries and said they have betrayed the Islamic nation by attending the conference. Houthi noted that normalization of ties means destroying the Palestinian cause and backstabbing the people of Palestine. The Ansarullah chief noted that Israel is part of the war against Yemen and the goal of this war is to achieve US and Israeli goals in the region.

Repelling terrorists’ attack

The Syrian army has repelled a militant ambush inside a demilitarized zone in the northwestern Hama province. Syrian media say government forces have inflicted heavy losses on the militants who attacked an army position at dawn. A UK-based war monitor says 21 Syrian soldiers have been killed by the al-Qaeda-linked militants. The assault is one of the deadliest breaches of a ceasefire agreement that has been in place since September. Under the deal, militant groups were supposed to withdraw from areas in Idlib and nearby provinces. The Syrian government in return held off an offensive on the last major militant bastion. Breaches of the demilitarized zone by militants have increased in recent days, making the deal shakier than ever.

Brexit uncertainty

Ireland’s prime minister says it’s highly likely Britain's exit from the EU will be postponed from March 29 to June. Leo Varadkar made the remark at the Irish cabinet. He said the UK’s top priority is securing a Brexit deal by March 29. But Varadkar noted, triggering Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty to extend the departure date is a likely scenario. Meanwhile, the British trade secretary has warned that the EU won’t offer a long divorce deadline to London.

Obstruction of justice probe

The US House Judiciary Committee says the panel will seek documents from more than 60 people and entities as part of a probe into possible obstruction of justice by President Donald Trump. House Judiciary Committee Chairman Jerrold Nadler said the investigation will also revolve around Trump’s possible corruption and abuse of power. Nadler added, he believes the US president has obstructed justice. The move by the Democratic-controlled House could signal that the committee does not plan to wait for Special Counsel Robert Mueller to complete his legal case against Trump. The Democrats believe Trump should be impeached for obstruction of justice and what they call collusion with Russia. The President has repeatedly rejected the allegations against him.


Press TV’s website can also be accessed at the following alternate addresses:

www.presstv.ir

SHARE THIS ARTICLE