UK airlines to return Britons from Egypt

UK airliners

British airlines are set to start to bring back Britons without their luggage from Egypt’s Sharm el-Sheikh.

Easyjet, Monarch, Thomson and British Airways will run UK-bound flights due to start later on Friday. Earlier, Transport Secretary Patrick McLoughlin said hold luggage was "one of the big concerns we had" about security.

19 flights are scheduled to leave Sharm el-Sheikh for London Gatwick, London Stansted, Luton, Birmingham and Manchester on Friday.

UK investigators believe that a bomb was put in the hold of a Russian plane which crashed in Egypt. The plane was flying from Sharm el-Sheikh to St Petersburg when it fell from the sky last Saturday, killing all 224 people on board. Most of the victims were Russian holidaymakers.

Thousands of Britons are stranded after the UK suspended all flights to and from the Red Sea resort on Wednesday.

British Prime Minister David Cameron says it was now "more likely than not" that a terrorist bomb caused the crash.

This comes as both Egypt and Russia say it's too soon reach such a conclusion. 

Egypt's President Abdul Fattah al-Sisi, told reporters that security at the airport was tightened 10 months ago at the UK's request.

Media reports say, British officials last year raised concerns with the Egyptian authorities about lax security at the airports in Sharm el-Sheikh and Cairo, BBC Newsnight has learned.

 

 

 


Press TV’s website can also be accessed at the following alternate addresses:

www.presstv.ir

SHARE THIS ARTICLE
Press TV News Roku